Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Play Dough

I have always loved play dough.  I have never been a fan of the store bought kind - it crumbles and I don't like the smell.  If only I could get the color of my play dough as vibrant as the store bought kind.

Following is a recipe that you can do at home right on your stove top!  It lasts for about 1 month if you store it in an airtight container.  I discovered this year, it will last a few months more when essential oils are added.  I tried lavender oil.  I thought it might have a calming effect on the kiddies :).  I also doubled the recipe to accommodate more kids in a center.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
2 cup water
1 tbsp veg oil
2 tbsp cream of tartar

Mix your dry ingredients in your pan well, then add all the liquid ingredients.  I use a wooden spoon to stir over medium heat.  It gets a little sticky and clumpy.  You will know when it is done when it doesn't stick to your finger.  I have never timed it, but maybe about 10 minutes.  I then turn it out on some wax paper to cool.  If you want to add color, I add it directly to the dough and knead with my hands.  I wait to do this at school so I can wear latex gloves.  It is also fun to do with the kids!

On Pinterest I pinned someone using almond paste in place of play dough - It would be very expensive for a whole class - but just look at how vibrant the color is! She used a professional dye - really makes a difference!! If anyone has any tips for coloring play dough - please share :).

http://pinterest.com/pin/207587864044923300/

Since, this summer I have been obsessed with quick images I made some play dough mats with that thought in mind.  Here they are:


http://www.teachersnotebook.com/product/PlayfulLearningBrooklyn/going-on-a-safari-play-dough-mats
http://www.teachersnotebook.com/product/PlayfulLearningBrooklyn/down-on-the-farm-play-dough-mats
If you would like to read a little bit more about play dough, NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) offers a more in-depth look at play dough and the different learning standards it addresses. (Pre Common Core)
http://www.naeyc.org/files/tyc/file/TYC_V3N3_Swartz.pdf
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh I love the idea of putting essential oils int he play dough! Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete